Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church | New York, NY
Goshow Architects coordinated the historic preservation, complex restoration, and underground addition for this historic church, built in 1873. The exterior work involved stone replacement, re-carving and consolidation of the brownstone façade, and replacement of the North Tower fleche. The church’s interior required restoration of the sanctuary, stained glass windows, offices and assembly spaces, and full upgrades of the MEP systems, as well as ADA-compliance.
Space for the new Christian Education Center was excavated from beneath the church’s foundations to create 13,000 sf of additional space for a congregational hall, classrooms, and dining facilities. Extreme care was taken to preserve the church’s stone and wood structure, and upon completion two years later, was found to not have moved ¼ of an inch!
Recognized for its excellence by the U.S. President’s Advisory Council on Historic Preservation, and New York Construction Magazine’s Best Historic Preservation
Project Of 2005.